Waynetown High School began playing basketball at the turn of the twentieth century. Early on the team was called “The Old Gold and Black”. Sometime in the 1920′s the team was renamed “The Gladiators” and the team colors changed to red and white. 1944-45 team also went undefeated during the regular season and won the Sectional tournament. From 1942 to 1945 they won 51 straight regular season games. Waynetown’s only other sectional win was in 1970. The Gladiators also won the County Tournament two times, in 1943-44 and 1944-45.